Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Healing Fire

The article revolves around the journey sokreaksa himm took to forgive the people who killed his family. Sokreaksa was only eleven years old when he watches helplessly as the chlops wiped out most of his family. Fortunately, he escaped death and moved to Canada, after twenty-five years he returns to Cambodia to seek forgiveness and to forgive.


As I read the first part of the story, which describe the agony of watching his siblings and parents wither away in front of him as he helplessly hides in the forest; I was outrage at the fact how inhuman the chlops could be. I will not deny that I hope retribution will draw upon those murders and they were unforgivable for what they did. The chlops killed people mercilessly and they should be put to the chair. At the same time, my heart went out to sokreaksa, to lose his whole family at such a young age was undeniably a painful ordeal of him. It was astonishing that he still had the will to continue living after witnessing such tragedy. I have felt the pain of losing a family member before and it still haunts me, and I admire him for being so strong and unwavering, striving to improve his life and to keep to his promise of avenging his family.

As the story develops, Sokreaksa was controlled by his unfulfilled promise to avenge his family, and it haunted him until he decided the only way through was to forgive the murders who killed his family. At first, I was confused by what he was trying to bring across, but after that I realised that forgiveness was the only way to set ones heart free. The only way to be free was to face the murders and to forgive them. I feel that his act of forgiveness demonstrated more than a forgiving heart. He has also demonstrated courage, in facing the murders and facing the guilt of not avenging his family. The road to forgiveness was a herculean one, yet his determination overcome all odds and help him put down his gun and to help set them free. It was a very magnanimous gesture and one that really made me respected him. He is able to forgive which is something I could never do if it was me. I feel that he had really put many people including me to shame, despite his plight he face the problem head on, he could have stayed in Canada which many might do, yet he wanted to face the murders and put the unresolved matter to rest. In the end, I feel that it was a win-win situation as he and the murders could finally put their minds at ease. The murders have received a second chance to repent and sokreaksa can finally start healing for the lost of his family.

No comments: